Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Girls, Girls, Girls....

Yes, girls. I have been gingerly (due to my fickle sewing machine) creating....yes....clothing for girls.  I have made two new girls' items - a top and a dress - and I am pretty pleased with them.  I can't wait to see how they are received at the market on Saturday.  I have more girls' clothing to make, but may not get to it this week...we'll see.
  I just wanted to share what i've been doing and some of the detail on this adorable girls' dress,  embellished with parts of a girls' everyday kimono..  It was such fun to have this piece unfold as I was pinning it together and trimming parts off, etc.
The front includes a pocket in the center; one side that comes flush to the side seam down to the waist; the other side goes up straight to the shoulder strap.  I left the embellishment's bottom hem loose (as in not connected to the dress), and completely covered the left shoulder strap from front to back.
I brought the fabric past the strap in the back and had it end in a semi-circle at bottom of strap, showing off the colorful fabric much more than it would have with just the strap being covered.  I then took the two tie straps off of the little kimono and centered them between the two waist seams, all the way across the back.  This little addition was really exactly what the dress needed as a finishing touch.
I can't wait to see it on its person, whenever she happens to come along.  Having sold a dress last Saturday, and watched its person put it on over her clothes and see that it was simply made just for her.  I think sometimes it is like when you go to the animal shelter and no matter what idea you have in your head upon entering the shelter, you are the person of one of the animals, and it will show that to you, that is your perfect fit, tailor-made just for you.  I know that a dress if not the same as a pet, but I see a similar thing happen when someone finds an item that is meant for them.  Sometimes they come back a few times before they take the plunge.
This is one of the reasons that I so enjoy about my work.  It is a great feeling to watch someone fall in love with something that I have made, a puzzle that I have solved for them.  Crazy, right?
I plan to continue and expand my "girls' clothing" line.   It is great fun for me and I think, just as with my Plus-Sized apparel, there is a void out there for custom or one-of-a-kind pieces for girls.  And there is a richness to it, when I think of a girl walking into school or a party with an Abercrombie & Fitch top (for example) that has been morphed into something original and something that has embellishments that are from another culture.  I like it....peace to you!...

No comments:

Post a Comment