Sunday, December 16, 2012

May the Karma Be With You...

Well, the Durham Farmers' Market had invited the Durham Craft Market's vendors to set up during the market yesterday (just a two hour market, 10 am till noon).  The weather looked like it would be good and so I decided to go, and I talked my friend, Dawn, aka FireWithN Pottery, to go, too.  She had not made much at the previous week's Holiday Market or at an event that I helped her with the weekend before that, so it was kind of hard to convince her.  I told her that my husband and I would help however we needed to, as she has a ruined knee and is in pain all the time (will be having knee replacement surgery next month).
She was already at the park when we arrived, and had not been able to finish setting up....as she was talking to a nice older couple that bought several pieces of pottery from her, her second customers of the morning, even though it wasn't even 9:30 yet.
We started unpacking and setting up, and she finished with her customers, and turned to me...she was thanking me for convincing her to come out, as she had not been able to pay her insurance (she is a veteran on disability and fixed income).  She called and paid it over the phone while I was still setting up, and I could feel the load being lifted off of her shoulders.
So we set up, and an hour passed, and one of my favorite customers came by with her pooch to say hi and we were able to hug and wish each other safe and happy holidays, etc.  And a few other dear folks came through, sharing warm bread, telling little stories...just a wonderful morning!
And in the last half hour of the market, I had my one and only sale of the day, a top that I wore occasionally (free advertising) and decided to bring along at the last minute.  I felt that cool connection with the customer, knowing that I would see her again, and that she would spread the word about what I do.
It was a good bit of setting up and taking down and unloading and loading and time and gas and on and on....it was exactly the day I was supposed to have...and I was just grinning as I looked over at my friend, most of her pottery packed up, when a couple came by and found the perfect gift for someone dear to them, a pretty blue coffee mug....grin, grin, grin!!  And peace to you....

No comments:

Post a Comment